Choose the Right Curtains and Blinds for your Home
Curtains and blinds are probably the easiest solution to add character to a space. The right curtains and blinds can add drama, depth, and a soft ambience to a living space.
However, given the wide variety of choices available in blinds and curtains, it can be difficult to make the right choice. Blinds and curtains can differ by way of colors, styles, and fabrics.
5 Essential Tips to Choose Quality Curtains and Blinds
1. Consider the Purpose and the Location
What is your purpose of having curtains or blinds on your windows? If you want complete privacy, choose a fabric that’s thick enough to block sunlight. If you want some amount of light to stream through though, choose light fabrics.
• However, avoid going for silk for sunny windows. If you have to, interline it with some other fabric. Silk can quickly rot when exposed to direct sunlight.
• Apart from sunlight, it is also important to consider how draughty is the window and what is your preference. Here again, thick fabrics will block most of the draught.
• You could go for lighter fabrics if you enjoy nice breeze on spring days.
2. Buy Curtains and Blinds First when Renovating
If you are renovating your space, it is perhaps best to choose quality curtains and blinds first. This can be decided when you choose the wall colors and the floor designs. Apart from this, quality curtains and blinds also give a more spacious and aesthetic look to your living area when you choose them wisely, so you can make your investment for these accordingly. You can easily match the color and pattern of colors and blinds to the color of walls. However, doing it the other way around can be a tad difficult, since there are such a lot of options when it comes to patterns, colors, and designs in curtains and blinds.
3. Get a Sample of the Fabric
When you go curtain shopping, make sure you ask the shopkeeper give you samples of fabrics. Bring them home and hold them against the light. Try to hold them in the position that your curtains and blinds would be. That way, you would get a fair idea of how might light the fabric will be able to block. You must also hold the fabric against the walls to make sure the color and pattern goes with your present décor.
4. Mix and Match Carefully
Mixing quality curtains and blinds is a great way to customize the look and feel of your space. However, you must do so carefully, since not all fabrics complement each other.
• For instance, for a roman blind, curtains made from cotton are perhaps the best choice. Lighter fabrics may not be able to hold shape, which means they will look floppy.
• Similarly, bamboo blinds work well with lightweight fabrics. In order to give your windows a large appearance, you could use two bamboo blinds, install them high, and install matching curtains a little wider.
• You should also mix and match colors in a way that they last long, and their seams and stitches do not come off.
5. Maintenance is Important
You could buy the best quality curtains and blinds out there. However, if you do not take care of them, they can quickly start to look old and worn out. It is important that you vacuum your curtains and blinds at least once a week.
In case of stains on them, use a mild soapy solution. In fact, before you use a soapy solution, try to get rid of the stain with plain water and a clean cloth. Dusting them regularly should get rid of most dust that collects in them, and you can retain quality curtains and blinds.