The Modern Replacement of Conventional Draperies: Plantation Shutters Blinds
Plantation shutters and blinds are window treatments ideal for home and office. The great thing is that it gives a sleek, secure, and durable alternative to custom draperies. They protect your privacy as well and also offer protection to your interiors from direct sunlight. Moreover, plantation shutters and blinds enhance the value of the property as it is one of those parts of the place that remains even if the owner has moved out.
Plantation shutters and blinds can be installed in every room, including the bathroom. These are available in different types of materials and are used for different chambers. One of the amazing things about them is that they are even suitable for different climates, for example – Vinyl shutters can be used for bathroom and basswood shutters for the living room.
Shutters can be custom built or be taken from stock panels depending on standard sizes. You can choose the gap between the louvers and control the amount of light you let in. Older designs have smaller and narrow louvers, whereas contemporary designers would prefer to have more light in the rooms and therefore opt for thinner and wider louvers.
Mentioned below are some models of widely used plantation shutters and blind frames:
- Single full frame: This model has shutters from top to bottom of the window.
- Vertical split frame: It helps in having two separate set of shutters, one above the other, so that the top frame can be kept open while the bottom frame closed. Such models help in allowing light into the room through the upper frame and let you enjoy the privacy of your room by having the shutters in the bottom frame closed. This model is widely used for bathrooms.
- Half shutter frame: The frame has shutters only in the bottom part, whereas the upper frame has glasses like a regular window. This model lets in more sunlight into the rooms, yet allows you to enjoy your privacy to the utmost because of the shutters on the bottom frame.
- Bi-fold frame: This frame has two full-frame shutters that can be folded on top of the other and then off to the side so that when folded and moved off you have a fully open window that lets in all the fresh air and sunlight stream into your living room. This model has to be used and maintained carefully, lest you could ruin the hinges and prevent smooth opening and closure of the frame.
- Double hung frame: It has two separate frames vertically, one on the top of the other which can be opened and closed separately. So you can keep the bottom frame closed and let the top frame open and can enjoy the fresh air through the upper open frame. You can open both frames when having fresh air is your priority, and privacy takes a back seat.
- Glass shutter double window: In this model, the exterior glass window remains permanently closed, but have a separate inner window which can be incorporated with any of the above shutter frame options, though the bi-fold frame is most commonly used in this design.
You may add drapes or a valance to the top of your shutters to add elegance to your shutters. All affordable plantation shutters and blinds can be custom colored. You may choose one which goes with the theme of your room.
There are many companies that install plantation shutters and blinds, details of which are readily available on the internet. Most companies list the price of each model per square inch, which helps you make a comparison of the rates offered by different suppliers and opt for the one that offers a competitive price. It would also be advisable to consider a company that offers a warranty for their installation as well as annual maintenance. In fact, there are many online stores that sell standard sized, affordable plantation shutters and blinds, but make sure you have gone through the terms and conditions as well as reviews before you go for it.