They tend to have a lot of money and a thing for elaborate showmanship, so it should go without saying that celebrities have some pretty outrageous proposal stories. These over-the-top displays of affection involve everything from extravagant wedding rings to slightly awkward situations and lots of helicopters (which for some reason seem to be a theme here). So, buckle up and get ready to set some unrealistically high expectations. We have the 11 most outrageous celebrity proposals right here.
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West – If you know anything about Kanye West, this won’t surprise you. Whether he is grabbing microphones or apologizing for it, a big show is going to be involved. So it would only make sense that Kanye’s proposal to Kim Kardashian would be a spectacle. Luckily for us, there is footage of it.
With the family in attendance, this production involved renting out an entire baseball field and an orchestra. It supposedly cost $3.3 million to pull off. A large bulk of that was taken up by the 15-carat ring designed by professional jewelry designer Lorraine Schwartz.
2. Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon – Both of the proposals between Carey and Cannon would be extravagant on their own. Yes, you read that right, Nick Cannon proposed to Mariah Carrey twice. For his first proposal, Cannon hid a 17-carat diamond inside of a Ring Pop that he gave to her on the top of her Manhattan apartment building. A few days later, Nick took her for a helicopter ride and proposed again. You know—because sometimes once is not enough.
3. Seal and Heidi Klum – Seal took Heidi Klum on a helicopter ride to the top of a 14,000-foot glacier, where she discovered an igloo decorated with rose petals and candles, along with food and champagne. Celebrities sure do love helicopters.
4. Liam McIntyre and Erin Hasan – McIntyre took Hasan to the happiest place on earth (aka Disney World) for their proposal. After arriving, Hasan was led away by one of the characters from Cinderella, where she got a makeover and a custom dress that was based on her three favorite Disney princesses. After that, there was a private dinner where McIntyre was dressed as Prince Charming, where he dropped to his knee and proposed. The ring he proposed with was custom designed by him, reportedly with 150 diamonds in total.
5. Orlando Bloom and Katy Perry – Katy Perry reportedly knew something was up when Bloom showed up to their dinner clean-shaven and “not wearing tennis shoes.” After their dinner together, the pair boarded a helicopter (again with the helicopters…) and proposed to her. At the end of the helicopter ride, they landed on a building to be greeted by friends, family, and flowers.
6. DJ Deadmau5 and Kat Von D – This one is not as extravagant as the others but is still just as outrageous. That is because the famous DJ proposed to Kat Von D through a Tweet! It read “I can’t wait for Christmas so … Katherine Von Drachenberg, will you marry me?” with a picture of their engagement ring. Hey, whatever gets the job done.
7. Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes – A candle-lit dinner is a solid choice for anyone planning on popping the question. But popping the question with a candle-lit dinner… in the most romantic city in the world … on top of the Eiffel tower… is taking it up a notch, to say the least. The best part is that the couple had only been dating for a couple of months at the time.
8. Matthew McConaughey and Camila Alves – A little more simplistic, but also a little more awkward than the others. McConaughey had the whole family over for Christmas when he proposed to Alves. He had her open a present that had the ring inside. McConaughey had wrapped the ring in not just one box, but in eight individual packages. Like the Russian doll of proposals. And, even when she got the ring out, it was not a yes right away! With McConaughey down on one knee and the entire family watching, they thought she might say no. But McConaughey eventually said, “Look, I’m down on a knee. I’ll stay here awhile. I will outlast you,” which finally got the yes that he was after.
9. Seth Rogen and Lauren Miller – Rogen had a lot of big plans when he decided that he was going to propose to Miller. But those plans did not really pan out. When Rogen got the ring, he was consumed by this massive amount of pressure. He was afraid that he was going to give away the surprise. He was so stressed, he decided to pop the question on the day he bought the ring! So, he walked up to their bedroom and, while Miller was changing in the closet, he asked her to marry him. After all his nervousness and buildup, he realized that she probably did not expect to be topless when she was proposed to. But she said yes, and it all worked out anyway.
10. Will Smith and Jada Pinkett – When Smith decided that he wanted to pop the question, he did not do very much preparation at all. Before they were going to bed one night, he looked over at Pinkett and said “Hey, we might be real good married. Wassup? You want to marry me?” He didn’t even have a ring on him. But, with a 20+ year marriage that’s still going (a true feat in Hollywood) maybe those two have the right idea.
11. Prince William and Kate Middleton – Royalty is all about extravagance, but the proposal between Prince William and Kate Middleton was actually very subdued. William and Kate were on vacation in Kenya when he popped the question in a quiet lodge. However, the ring was not subdued. William proposed with a 12-carat oval blue sapphire surrounded by 14 diamonds with an 18-karat white gold setting. This was not just any ring. This ring belonged to his late mother, Princess Diana, who passed away in a car accident in 1997. It was a way for Prince William to ensure that a part of his mother would be there on his wedding day.
As always, celeb couples love to command attention and dazzle with their over-the-top performances, and their proposals are no different!