Get to Know What Pier Caps Are All About
Owning a house is a matter of pride for most individuals. They do everything to enhance the look and appeal of their property. They give the house the best design, the most vibrant color, and a lush green lawn. However, many times, the walls of the fencing walls remain pale. In order to enhance the look of these, pier caps can be used. So what are pier caps? How are they useful for our homes? Read on the article to find out more.
What are Pier Caps?
The Pier Caps are defined as the stones, which cap the piers, or the gate pillars. These pier caps may be a cap on its own, or maybe a base for the ball finial, a light, or some other feature to be standing on. The pier caps are used for the purpose of the protection of the pier from any kind of extreme weather change, and to please the eye. The pier caps can even be used for the purpose of Balustrading the piers.
Types of Pier Caps
A number of agencies offer a variety of designs for the pier caps. Some of the standard or common pier cap choices are as follows:
- The Standard Pier Cap: This pier cap is weathered in four ways and has straight sides.
- The Classic Pier Cap: This pier cap is weathered in four ways on the top along with having curved details nearer to the bottom half.
- The Molded Pier Cap: This pier cap is weathered in four ways on the top with a molded-to-straight detail bottom half.
- The Heritage Pier Cap: This pier cap is weathered in four ways on the top with a curved to the straight detail at the bottom half, as well as an extra detailing done on the bottom of the edge.
- The Swept Pier Cap: This pier cap is weathered in four ways, but each of the weathering is swept up so as to form a platform for the purpose of a ball finial.
- The Ball Finial Pier Cap (BF 1): In this design of the pier cap, the base, column, as well as the ball all are made up with just one piece.
- The Ball Finial Pier Cap (BF 2): In this design of the pier cap, the base, and the square neck are all created as a single piece, but a ball is created separately.
Benefits of Pier Caps
The pier capsoffer a number of benefits to the posts. Along with providing an appealing look, it also adds as a security factor in the column. Let us have a look at the benefits of pier caps in detail.
- The Pier Caps help to augment as well as protect the piers and the gateposts of a compound wall.
- The pier caps defend the mortar and the masonry from the effects of erosion and the harsh frost, which may cause damage by the deflecting rainwater, which comes from running down of the face from the pier.
- The pier capshelp to complement effectively any architectural design of the development by matching the caps with the style of the walls and the windowsills.
- The Concrete Pier caps generally shed the water in the four directions and are equipped with water drip grooves so as to protect the wall from the natural elements such as rain or snow.
Thus, it can be seen that there are multiple benefits of using pier caps on the walls around the house. Be it for security, decoration, or appearance, the pier caps are highly useful.